- Newsletter Jan. 16, 2020 - Happy New Year
- Newsletter Dec. 20, 2019 - Retirement Plan Update
- Newsletter Nov. 27, 2019 - Bonuses and Education Leave and Fund Update
- ONA/STV Retirement Plan Update - Nov 19, 2019
- Providence Retirement Plan Changes - Nov. 19, 2019
- Newsletter Nov. 13, 2019 - Education Leave/Fund Update
- Low Census Order Changes Announced. See recent newsletter for details. - October 8, 2019
- Newsletter Sept. 19, 2019 - CVOR Staffing Plan Vote Reaches Second Impasse
- CA 24 Annual Dinner on Oct. 24, 2019
- Newsletter Sept. 10, 2019 - PSVMC Certification Pay Grievance Resolved
- Certification Pay Grievance Resolved, Claims Process Open Until Oct. 15, 2019
- Newsletter Aug. 1, 2019 - Certification Pay Grievance Resolved
- Demand to Bargain Over Paid Training Time - July 7
- ONA Demand to Bargain Letter - July 5
- Newsletter July 2, 2019 - Role of Unit Steward and Officer
- Update on Association Grievance for Certification Pay - June 25
- Newsletter May 31, 2019 - SRDF Filings on the Rise
- Newsletter May 8, 2019 - National Nurses Week
- Newsletter May 2, 2019 - SANE Update #2
- ONA-Providence Newsletter April 29, 2019 - PPMC Nurses Reach TA
- Newsletter April 23, 2019 - Providence System Bargaining Updates
- ONA-Providence Newsletter April 17, 2019 - Update for all Providence Nurses
- Newsletter March 5, 2019 - SANE Update #1
- Newsletter March 1, 2019 - Our St. Vincent Stewards’ Council is Going Strong
- Newsletter Jan. 24, 2019 - Red Rules
- Newsletter Dec. 12, 2018 - Clinical Ladder TA and Vote Info
Newsletter Dec. 10, 2018 - Clinical Ladder TA
- Newsletter May 7, 2018 - Survey About New Health Plan for 2019
- Newsletter April 9, 2018 - Resource RN Holiday Schedulin
- Newsletter Feb. 28, 2018 - Related to the New Contract
- Newsletter Dec. 20, 2017 - Bargaining Update #6 - TENTATIVE AGREEMENT!
- Newsletter Dec. 8, 2017 - Bargaining Update #5
- Newsletter Dec. 4, 2017 - Bargaining Update #4
- Newsletter Nov. 20, 2017 - Bargaining Update #3
- Newsletter Nov. 7, 2017 - Bargaining Update #2
- Newsletter Oct. 10, 2017 - Negotiations Begin
- Newsletter Aug. 18, 2017 - Throughput Changes
- Newsletter May 19, 2017 - Bargaining Survey Coming Soon
- Newsletter March 22, 2017 - Job Description Changes
- Newsletter Feb. 17, 2017 - February Updates
- Newsletter Nov. 23, 2016 - Are We Changing Floating Norms?
- Newsletter September 2, 2016 - Prime Time Vacation Scheduling for Summer 2017
- Newsletter May 9, 2016 - Incentive Shifts: The Whole Truth
- Newsletter March 18, 2016 - New Contract Training Sessions
- Newsletter Feb. 9, 2016 - New Contract Education
- Newsletter Jan. 11, 2016 - New 2-Year Contract
- Newsletter Dec. 18, 2015 - Tentative Agreement Information
- Tentative Agreement Reached! - Dec. 16, 2015
- Newsletter Dec.9, 2015 - Bargaining Update #3
- Newsletter Nov. 9, 2015 - Bargaining Update #2
- Newsletter Oct. 9, 2015 - Bargaining Update #1
- Newsletter August 27, 2015 - New Officers and ONA Staff
- Newsletter August 27, 2015 - New Officers and ONA Staff
- Newsletter May 1, 2015 - Clinical Ladder Negotiation Update #14 - TENTATIVE AGREEMENT
- Newsletter April 17, 2014 - Inequitable Treatment of Two Long-Term Nurses
- Newsletter March 12, 2015 - Timecard Grievance and Class Action Resolution Reached
- Newsletter February 2, 2015
- Newsletter January 13, 2015
- Newsletter December 18, 2014
- Newsletter November 7, 2014
- Newsletter October 17, 2014 - Clinical Ladder Update, Ebola Preparedness, etc.
- Newsletter September 19, 2014 - Clinical Ladder Update, etc.
- Newsletter July 29, 2014 - Clinical Ladder Negotiation Update #8
- Newsletter July 15, 2014 - Clinical Ladder Negotiation Update #7
- Newsletter July 7, 2014 - Clinical Ladder Negotiation Update #6
- Newsletter June 25, 2014 - Clinical Ladder Negotiation Update #5
- Newsletter June 17, 2014 - Clinical Ladder Negotiation Update #4
- Newsletter May 28, 2014 - Clinical Ladder Negotiation Update #3
- Newsletter May 21, 2014 - Clinical Ladder Negotiations Update #2
- Newsletter May 16, 2014 - Clinical Ladder Negotiations Update #1
- Newsletter May 2, 2014 - National Nurses Week
- Newsletter April 17, 2014
- Newsletter April 8, 2014 - ONA/APRN Officer Elections
- Newsletter March 13, 2014 - Vote Reminder and Updates
- Newsletter March 7, 2014 - Bargaining Update #14 - Tentative Agreement!
- Newsletter February 28, 2014 - Bargaining Update #13
- Newsletter February 14, 2014 - Bargaining Update #12
- Newsletter February 12, 2014 - Bargaining Update #11
- Newsletter February 5, 2014 - Bargaining Update #10
- Newsletter January 10, 2014 - Bargaining Update #9
- Newsletter December 12, 2013 - Bargaining Update #8
- Newsletter November 26, 2013 - Bargaining Update #7
- Newsletter November 18, 2013 - Bargaining Update #6
- Newsletter November 7, 2013 - Bargaining Update #5
- Newsletter November 1, 2013 - Bargaining Update #4
- Newsletter October 25, 2013 - Bargaining Update #3
- Newsletter October 18, 2013 - Bargaining Update #2
- Newsletter October 11, 2013 - Bargaining Update #1
- Newsletter September 26, 2013
- Newsletter August 23, 2013
- Newsletter August 2, 2013
- Newsletter July 3, 2013 - Update on Grievance
- Newsletter June 25, 2013 - Grievance Filed for Manager Overrides and Changes to Time Records
- Special ED Newsletter - June 17, 2013
- Newsletter April 30, 2013 - Happy Nurses Week
- Newsletter April 16, 2013 - Health Insurance Task Force Needs Your Input
- Newsletter March 29, 2013 - PNCC updates
- Newsletter February 5, 2013
- Newsletter January 30, 2013
- Newsletter January 8, 2013
- Newsletter December 17, 2012
- Newsletter November 12, 2012
- Newsletter October 23, 2012 - Updates on Health Insurance and Open Enrollment
- Newsletter August 23, 2012 - Super User Grievance Update
- Newsletter August 21, 2012 - July Stewards' Dinner Recap
- Newsletter July 10, 2012 - Emergency Department Staff Special
- Newsletter July 2, 2012 - Membership has its benefits
- Newsletter June 15, 2012 - Clinical Ladder Negotiations Update #2
- Newsletter June 11, 2012 - Clinical Ladder Negotiations Update #1
- Newsletter May 4, 2012
- Newsletter April 11, 2012
- Newsletter March 14, 2012 - PEP Update
- Newsletter February 27, 2012 - Special Edition Labor & Delivery
- Newsletter February 7, 2012
- Newsletter January 20, 2012 - 2011 Year in Review
- St. Vincent Negotiations Update: Tentative Agreement Reached - December 8, 2011
- Negotiation Update #5 - December 2, 2011
- Negotiation Update #4 - November 16, 2011
- Negotiation Update #3 - November 8, 2011
- Negotiation Update #2 - October 14, 2011
- Negotiation Update #1 - September 28, 2011
- Health Insurance Negotiation Update #5 - September 14, 2011
- Health Insurance Negotiation Update #4 - August 15, 2011
- Health Insurance Negotiation Update #3 - August 4, 2011
- Health Insurance Negotiation Update #2 - July 19, 2011
- Health Insurance Negotiation Update #1 - July 12, 2011
- Newsletter - June 27, 2011
- Newsletter May 10, 2011
- Newsletter April 5, 2011
- Newsletter January 28, 2011- Year in Review
- Newsletter December 7, 2010
- Newsletter November 15, 2010
- Newsletter October 14, 2010
- Newsletter August 31, 2010
- Newsletter June 30, 2010
- Newsletter May 13, 2010
- Newsletter April 15, 2010
- Newsletter March 2, 2010
- Newsletter Feb 2010/Vote Summary
- Newsletter January 28, 2010
- Newsletter December 8, 2009
- Resource Nurses Newsletter September 25, 2009
- Newsletter September 30, 2009
ONA/PSVMC Bylaws Changes DRAFT Document - March 12
Social Media a Growing Issue for Employees and Employers
Resource Nurse Information Center
To read a clear guide of the process for calculating resource seniority, please read this document which was created in 2010 after the resource nurses voted to be included in the contract along with FTE nurses. We think this will answer your questions
- The attendance policy has been an ongoing concern for nurses and administration. For a summary from past newsletters, please click here
- We reached a compromise in our 2011 negotiations which made the policy less rigid. To see that change, please refer to Art. VII of your contract.”
- However, even though we reached a compromise, any corrective action issued under the policy must still have "proper cause.” If you have received a corrective action under this policy that you do not believe is fair, please contact your grievance committee
representative, steward, officer, or labor representative
Clinical Ladder Negotiations
Clinical Ladder Tentative Agreement Ratified!
On May 22, 2015, the nurses at Providence St. Vincent Medical Center (PSVMC) voted unanimously to ratify the Clinical Ladder letter of agreement between ONA and PSVMC, as well as the bargaining unit bylaws amendment.
Members of the negotiating team are from the Clinical Ladder Board: Merridee Dobbeck, Chair, Eric Sabbe, Jenna Nelson and Kathy Keane, and APRN officers: Glenda Peters, Chair, Maryann Dutton, and Sally LaJoie.
Grievance filed for Unauthorized Timecard/Kronos Adjustments
to Hours Worked by Nurses
Update – January 15, 2015 The federal court has issued preliminary approval of the settlement reached. Class Action settlements are a lengthy procedure with multiple appearances before the court. The grievance was settled in the same process as the Class Action so our grievance is now part of that process. The claims administrator will be mailing notice to all class/grievance members in the next 60 days. If the settlement is approved then payments will be made in the summer of 2015.
Click here for background information and past updates regarding this grievance
Maternal Child Division
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Reorganization finalized July 2014.
For additional information, contact the NICU Stewards, Angie Little and Sharyl Allender, or a NICU workgroup member, or read past joint NICU Workgroup updates here.
Maternal Child Reorganization
The 2013 Maternal Child Reorganization is now complete, but the workgroup reconvenes to review issues periodically.
You can find the final memorandum of understanding, with details of the process, in the documents section at the bottom of this page.
ONA/Providence St. Vincent Post Partum and Labor and Delivery Negotiations
Emergency Department Updates
Update: January 15. The Emergency Department nurses were notified March 11, 2014 that their department will be reorganized due primarily to needs to change staff on certain days of week to match the patient census. We formed a joint ONA
– PSVMC workgroup and have now largely concluded this process except to revisit the Skeleton Schedule Guidelines and how schedules are changed for other nurses if a nurse leaves the unit. The nurses in the unit voted to adopt an exception to seniority
for the nurses that lost their shift in the reorganization. To learn more about the seniority change, read the MOU which will be finalized and posted soon.
To read past Joint Workgroup Updates, click here
State investigation. In 2013, the Oregon Health Authority undertook an investigation following a complaint filed that the Medical Center’s staffing changes violate Oregon’s Nurse Staffing Law. On August 26 it announced that it had identified one or more
violations of the Oregon Administrative Rules.
Staffing Concerns Abound – what can you do?
Document it! If you have concerns about your unit’s staffing, please fill out a SRDF form and help us document the problem. We are compiling and presenting this data and continue to push to improve your work conditions and those of your patients. For
more information about how to document with an SRDF, please contact your ONA Stewards or fill it out here.
Track your Missed Breaks and Lunches. If the budget cannot sustain staffing for safe patient care, it is likely that it cannot sustain staff nurses’ ability to take breaks and lunches. We are getting repeated complaints about missed breaks and lunches.
Please track these missed breaks and lunches and submit them to your ONA Stewards, officers, or labor representatives. It is illegal to fail to provide these rest periods, and it also violates our contract. If the documentation shows that nurses are
not getting their rest periods, we can file a claim with the Bureau of Labor and Industries as well as file grievances. Please help us by stepping forward and documenting this problem!
Critical Care Division
- Stewards needed in Critical Care. We currently have one steward in the ICU, but we need more staff nurses as Stewards in these units. Our goal is to have one nurse on each unit and shift. Please contact Molly O’Donnell, Sally LaJoie
or any ONA officer if you would like more information. Your participation makes a difference!
- During 2013 contract negotiations, critical care nurses mobilized to sign petitions objecting to the medical center's proposal to require floating on all extra shifts. We presented these petitions to management in negotiations in 2014. We are pleased
to report that the unity of these nurses helped us prevent the changes the Medical Center proposed, and the option to float will remain within the control of the nurse signing up for an extra shift. Thank you for your activities to protect your
Health Insurance Updates
Providence Officially Announced Flu Season Dec. 29. We were able to negotiate some improvements to the original masking policy. For more information, check out our September-December newsletters below.
Past Negotiations Archives
Due to technical problems, the use of these badges has been discontinued. We have kept this as a standing agenda item on the joint Labor Management Task Force Agenda. As of yet, there are no announced plans to reintroduced these badges.
Lunsford and Weatherford Grievances over terminations were Arbitrated February 26-27, 2015. Final briefs were submitted April 13 and we expect a decision in 30 days. For more background information, read the newsletter below.
Low Census Issues in Maternal Child Division. We’ve heard of multiple problems with the low census process in Maternal Child. If you have experienced problems contact Sally LaJoie.
Working Spousal Surcharge Grievance. The grievance filed last summer over the Working Spousal Surcharge on behalf of staff that submitted evidence they were exempt but were still being charged is currently at Step 3 of the process.
Review your paystubs and make certain the surcharge is not being withheld. The surcharge is abbreviated on your paystub as “SP SC.” Providence has withheld the surcharge incorrectly for nurses that opted out of the surcharge during 2014 open enrollment – if this has happened to you call the HR Service Center immediately. If you have had a change in circumstances and it no longer applies, you must notify HR within 30 days to end the withholding.
- St. Vincent Nurses Overwhelmingly Vote to Ratify Tentative Agreement for Clinical Ladder - July 16, 2012
Nurses casting ballots said "yes” to a tentative agreement that will provide existing Clinical Ladder benefits as well as a new benefit of $75 per Clinical Ladder nurse per year (for Clinical Ladder levels one - four) for an online educational
program of their choice. The Clinical Ladder Conference will be held every other year with the next conference in 2013. We will also meet in 2014 and review the effectiveness of the $75 online reimbursement program, prior to negotiations. The
agreement will be for two years, and expire July 1, 2014.
- Weekend Differential Grievance Agreement
- Voluntary Separation Program
On May 14, Providence offered a Voluntary Separation Program (VSP) to its non-represented employees. This is something we commonly call a "severance package” and is an opportunity for employees to resign and receive some sort of monetary
payment in exchange. Providence can then reduce its workforce without having to have a mandatory layoff/reduction in force.
- New Officers for 2012-2014. Nominations closed on April 9, 2012. When the positions are not contested, the bylaws do not require a vote. See the new officers in in the Leadership section above.
- Administration to Discontinue PEP Employee Discount Effective March 1 (February 7, 2012 Newsletter)
- Providence St. Vincent Recap of Health Insurance Benefits and Enrollment - posted November 11
- EPIC Go-Live Preparation Letter - posted September 27
- Maternal-Child Division Cross Training Guidelines
- Meetings held March 18 and June 1 with ONA and administration.
- Joint meetings with Staff Nurses, Asst. Nurse Managers, Cross Trained RNs, ONA and Administration were held on June 23 and August 9, to review issues and revisions to guidelines.
- Providence Portland Medical Center Proposed Benefit Changes - January 25, 2011
- KDC Closure & Placement Completed (see below for details)
- Healthy Work Environment Update – Career Pathways - December 30
- Explanation of Clinical Ladder and Resource Agreements (short)
- Redlined Resource Nurse Agreement (complete) - March 31
- 2010 Clinical Ladder Materials: Letter of Agreement, Policy and Packet - March 31
- St. Vincent Nurses Ratify Clinical Ladder and Resource Agreements - Feb 25
- Agreement on Education Requests Reached, click here to read the agreement - April 14
- Tentative Agreements Reached in Clinical Ladder and Resource Negotiations - Informational Meeting and Voting Times - Feb 4
- ONA Settles Two Termination Arbitrations - Feb 22
- Summary of Agreement/Newsletter - Feb 4, 2010
- Providence Extends One-Time Bonus for ONA Nurses to All Employees Statewide - Dec 16, 2009
- Notice to ONA Providence Nurses Enrolled in the Core Retirement Plan - Dec 14, 2009
- Providence Nurses Accept Retirement Settlement - Dec 4, 2009
- Providence Health System and Oregon Nurses Association Pending Proposed Settlement Agreements - November 6, 2009
- Retirement Discussions with Providence Conclude: Nurses to Vote on Proposed Settlement Agreement - November 6, 2009
- Providence Health System Open Forum on Pension Plan Changes Presentation (large pdf)