Providence St. Vincent Critical Care Division News
- Critical Care Unit Merger Announced to Staff
Administration announced on October 23 that the Cardiac Care Unit (CCU) and Cardiac Recovery Unit (CRU) will be merged into a single unit called the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU). ONA is in the process of talking to our members to find out if there are concerns with this announcement and whether staff nurses will demand to bargain with Providence about the impact of this change.
- Rapid Response Team (RRT) Changes Announced. On December 13, the Medical Center announced it will change the coverage and structure of the RRT. The proposed changes would reduce the existing RRT nurses from seven to three, and would require the remaining three RRT nurses to work as full-time day shift. RRT coverage at night would change. For the hours of 9 p.m. - 9 a.m., the RRT duties would be assigned to a critical care charge nurse with a dedicated back up certified nursing assistant. Click here to see the Medical Center’s proposed RRT coverage.
- What is ONA doing about this? We surveyed the critical care unit and RRT nurses who are roundly insupportive of the changes. The staff RNs houswide have been cirulating petitions protesting the model change. If you have not yet signed a petition please contact your ONA Steward or an officer. We have put a hold on negotiations until management makes a determination of what it will do next.
- Nurses are attending meetings and we will be negotiating with the medical center over this announcment. We have reqeusted the medical center provide information about this decision and why the change is needed. Click here to read ONA's demand to bargain and information request. Please check back for frequent updates.
- Medical Center Announces “Pause” in Implementation of Rapid Response Team changes. We will keep you informed when we know more. January 11, 2013
- Rapid Response Team Update: Open Meetings Held February 1 and 5. Meetings were held and the rooms were filled with concerned staff who posed questions and voiced concerns about the changes. We are still waiting to hear what management plans to do next witht he Rapid Response Program. Newsletter January 30, 2013
Back to the Providence St. Vincent bargaining unit page
St. Vincent Quick Links
St. Vincent Bargaining Unit
St. Vincent News and Events