After 26 hours of mediation, we reached a tentative agreement last night. Your ONA teams for Home Care Services and the Medical Center worked long and hard to secure a fair contract for our members. These negotiations were very difficult and the team believes that we’ve reached the best agreement possible and are recommending a “YES” vote.
More details will be mailed, emailed and posted on-line early next week but here is a summary of the agreement:
- Wages: 2 % - retro to 7/1; 0 .5% on 1/1/13; and 2 % on 7/1/13
- Insurance: Increase of $200 for seed money into the H.S.A accounts for the high deductible plan in the first year, no domestic tier, otherwise plan design as proposed by management
- Differentials – we received increases in differentials but agreed to a flat rate rather than a percentage based system
- Charge nurse – from current value of $3.09 to $3.15; Facilitators from current value of $ 1.70 to $2 in 7/12 and $2.15 in 7/13
- Evening shift differential increases by .03 and night shift by .09
- On call pay increases from $3.50 to $4 an hour for voluntary call – no change in mandatory call
- Cert pay increases from $0.90 an hour to $1 an hour
- Staffing Committee – we proposed language that specifies changes in structure that “support the staffing plan, affect direct patient care on the individual units and have an impact on multiple units will be discussed and reviewed by the Staffing Committee prior to implementation.” We believe this language will help give nurses a stronger voice in staffing issues
The health insurance was most difficult issue, We were able to influence some minor changes to the hospital plan such as eliminating the “domestic tier” and additional seeding of the Health Savings Account, however we were unable to negotiate more significant changes that offset the cost for the nurses that are currently in the Open Network plan or changed the deductibles or out of pocket maximums. Our team will provide more information to you on the impact of the health insurance changes in member meetings next week and the upcoming newsletter.
Thanks to everyone for your support in these negotiations!!
- Sacred Heart Home Care Services: Wednesday, August 1 at 4:30-6:00pm in the Juanita Fix Room
- University District: Wednesday, August 1 at 7:30-9:00am and 1:00- 4:00pm (location to be announced)
- RiverBend: Thursday, August 2 at 7:30-9:00am, 1:30-3:00pm, 3:30-5:00pm, and 7:30-9:00pm (location to be announced)
Voting will happen the following week - details to come early next week!
Maureen Smith, ONA Labor Representative and the Negotiating Committees for Home Care Services and the Medical Center